New Patisseries and Bars: English Vinglish in Juhu, Chemistry 101 in Lower Parel
• English Vinglish, a patisserie specialising in fusion desserts helmed by TV chef Ranveer Brar, opens in Juhu today, Tuesday, April 19. The patisserie will serve Indian desserts with Western accents including the gulab jamun pear brownie; white chocolate thandai kalakand tart; kheer kadam truffles with five spice ganache; and double chocolate pudding with khada masala strawberry compote and whipped shrikhand. The attached takeaway store will offer a brief menu of savouries including pao bhaji bun; baked vada pao; and pepper and fig chutney cupcakes. Open daily, from 10am to 10pm. English Vinglish, Shop No.13, Juhu Supreme Shopping Centre, near Shree Gangour Sweets, Gulmohar Cross Road 9, Juhu. Tel: 022 2671 2660.
• Gastropub Chemistry 101, which marks the debut of city-born London-based chef Stephen Gomes, will open in Lower Parel today, Tuesday, April 19. Both the food and drink at the bar will be made using molecular gastronomy techniques. The menu will feature dishes such as Meat and Chaat (chicken samosa pao, galouti dahi chaat, prawn tom yum puri); Doctor Strange (egg bhurji with dehydrated lotus stems, mixed herbs and liquid nitrogen egg whites); and Penicillin (chicken shorba with liquid nitrogen ginger ice cream and honey caviar). Open daily, from 7pm to 1am until Monday, April 25 and from noon to 1am from Tuesday, April 26. Chemistry 101, Times Tower, Kamala City, Kamala Mills, Lower Parel. Tel: 022 2496 7272.
• An outpost of The Belgian Waffle Co., the chain of quick service waffle joints, opened in Khar last week. The menu of waffle sandwiches and hot and cold beverages is the same across the chain. Open daily, from 11am to midnight. The Belgian Waffle Co., Gagangiri Apartments, next to The Big Burger, off Carter Road, Khar.
• Areezo, a pizza delivery service with branches in Dadar and Lower Parel, has been rebranded Chilli Flakes under the new management of Mikhail Shahani and Mohammad Bhol, the former chefs at erstwhile Worli restaurant Two One Two Bar and Grill. The partners, who also run the city-wide biryani delivery service Charcoal Biryani, have drafted a new menu for Chilli Flakes that offers burgers and pastas in addition to pies. You can choose from pizzas such as forest mushrooms; smoked Margarita; Cajun chicken; spicy pork; all-American pepperoni; and Bombay masala chicken; burgers made with mushroom; fried chicken; and pork belly; the pork hot dog; and penne Alfredo with bacon. Open daily, from 11am to 11pm. Chilli Flakes, Palia Mansion, Lady Jehangir Road, Dadar (East). Tel: 98204 20459. The Lower Parel outlet is delivery only; to place an order, call 98204 20459.
• Bastian, a new seafood-focused establishment by chef Kelvin Cheung, is slated to open in Bandra in the first week of May. Cheung, the former chef at Colaba restaurant Ellipsis who currently mans the kitchen at Khar bar One Street Over, is also working on a third restaurant, a fine-dining eatery, which is scheduled to launch in the third quarter of the year.
• The Bandra branch of Cafe Basilico, the chain of European restaurants, which shuttered last year, is slated to open in a new location in the suburb in May. The new menu will include old favourites at the chain. Cafe Basilico, Ground Floor, Gazebo House, same building as McDonald’s, opposite Mamagoto, Hill Road, Bandra (West).
• A branch of Wok Express opened in Bandra Kurla Complex on Monday, April 18, bringing the casual-dining South-East Asian restaurant chain’s tally to five outlets after those in Bandra West, Andheri West, Churchgate and Kemps Corner. The menu of dim sum, sushi, bao sandwiches and China box meals is the same across the chain. Open daily, from 11am to 11pm. Wok Express, Ground Floor, Urban Plaza, Plot C5, GN Block, BKC, Bandra (East). Tel: 98333 80808.
• Cafe Nemo, the restaurant, bar and gig venue, will move out of its current location in Worli, on Saturday, April 30. The folks behind Bandra bar Bonobo and Jamjar Diner in Andheri also run Cafe Nemo and are scouting for a new address for the restaurant where they will retain part of its current menu. Open from Monday to Friday, from 5pm to 1am and Saturday and Sunday, from noon to 1am. Cafe Nemo, Thadani House, Worli Village, opposite Indian Coast Guard, Worli. Tel: 022 2437 9841.