New Restaurants And Bars: Pi Pizzeria in Khar, Drop In Bandra
• Pizza joint Pi Pizzeria opened in Khar on Monday, January 2. Started by first-time restaurateurs Akhil Thakkar and Shaamil Amin, Pi Pizzeria serves ten-inch pies such as the Cipriota (olive, cherry and sun dried tomato, onion and feta); Americana Hot (pepperoni and jalapeño); and Pollo Arrosto (chicken, roasted pepper, pesto and onion). The menu also features appetisers like dough balls with garlic butter, bruschetta, and baked mushrooms with pesto and mozzarella and desserts such as tiramisu and chocolate fudge cake. They aim to procure a liquor licence by March. Open daily, from noon to midnight. Pi Pizzeria, 7, Darvesh Grand, 4th Road, next to Bharat Co-operative Bank, Khar (West). Tel: 022 3015 1794.
• European restobar Drop opened on Sunday, January 1 in Bandra. The 10,000 square feet establishment, which has replaced Club Royalty, is a partnership between Indorama Entertainment, the co-owner of the erstwhile nightclub, and Corum Hospitality, the company that runs The Bar Stock Exchange chain of pubs. Among the drinks on offer at the bar are classic cocktails such as the Moscow mule, Negroni and Zombie and a selection of martinis such as the appletini and blue martini. The food menu features flat breads, starters, salads, sandwiches, burgers, hand tossed pizzas, pastas, desserts and bottled shakes. Some of the dishes are spiced chicken wing popcorn; chilli herb and sea salt flat bread; chorizo, smoked bacon and caramelised onion pizza; honey mustard chicken crostini; roasted pear and blue cheese salad; spicy pork meatball baguette; green peppercorn crusted tenderloin steak; green apple pie; and peanut butter and chocolate sponge cake. Open daily, from noon to 4pm and from 7pm to 1.30am. Drop, G1/B, Krystal Building, Waterfield Road, Bandra (West). Tel: 022 4229 6000.
• Kanchan and Sannat Ahuja the mother and son duo behind Sindhful will relaunch the Khar-based food delivery service as a dine-in and takeaway restaurant that will open in the suburb on Wednesday, January 11. At the 12-seater outlet, they will serve an expanded menu which, in addition to items such as dal pakwan, Sindhi curry and sai bhaji, will feature new dishes like macaroni aloo, bhee ji tikki, dahi vada, Sindhi mutter paneer, and seyal bhindi. Open daily, from 10.45am to 3.15pm and from 6.45pm to 11pm. Sindhful, 5-6, Haji Mansion, 5th Road, near Khar Social, Khar. Tel: 022 3371 5923 / 97693 94968.
• The Mumbai outpost of Delhi bar, restaurant and performance venue Summer House Café, which held a number of preview gigs last month, officially opened on Saturday, December 24 in Lower Parel. The all-day establishment serves house-crafted cocktails such as Take Me Back To The Tang (maple syrup, tamarind paste foam, bourbon and bitters); Rewind (Beefeater gin, lemon grass, lychee juice, mint leaves, red berry syrup and lime juice); and Hystrix (Absolut vodka, kaffir leaves, sweet lime, orange, lime juice and sugar syrup). The multi-cuisine food menu lists tom yum soup, BBQ grilled cumin and mint fish tikka; mustard and curry patta prawn skewers; zatar chicken plank; chicken lasagna; seasoned chicken breast with sausage rice; BBQ crab; double bacon double cheese pizza; Cajun cottage cheese sandwich; and carrot cake with whipped cream. Open daily, from 11am to 11pm. Summer House Cafe, Mathuradas Mills Compound, next to Café Zoe, Lower Parel. Tel: 022 3395 1631.
• A new bar called The Thekka will open in Vashi on Friday, January 6. Run by the founders of restaurant chain The Food Studio, The Thekka will serve ‘thekka tails’ such as the Patiala Chai (masala chai, vodka, Cointreau and Baileys Irish cream); Imli Margarita (tamarind, tequila and ginger ale) and Khatta Monk (Old Monk and kala khatta). The multi-cuisine food menu includes snacks such as chana chor garam, cheese chilly bread pakoda and sriracha chilli chicken and mains like chicken tikka burger, misal pao and American chop suey. Open daily, noon to midnight. The Thekka, above The Food Studio, Plot No.25, Sector 19, near Satra Plaza, Palm Beach Road, Vashi, Navi Mumbai. Tel: 022 6567 4999.
• Quick service Tex-Mex chain House of Chipotle will open a delivery-only kitchen in Marol on Monday, January 9 from where it will cater to areas such as Andheri East, Jogeshwari East, Ghatkopar and Powai. The menu will be the same across the chain, which has outposts in Andheri West, Bandra West and Lower Parel. Open daily, from noon to midnight. Call 90291 23496 to place an order.