New Restaurants and Bars: Turban Tales in Powai, Bottoms Up in Andheri West
• The owners of Mini Punjab, the North Indian restaurant chain with branches in Bandra and Powai, launched Turban Tales, an ‘urban dhaba’ and bar, in Powai on Saturday, April 15. The cocktail selection includes Love from Southall (gin, melon, ginger juice, rose and soda), Cold Fried Caviar (vodka, curry leaves, watermelon, cranberry and black pepper) and Sol of Patiala (vodka, rum, kokum, cranberry and Tabasco). The food menu offers lamb galouti with sheermal; Amritsari chicken lollipops; chicken tikka momos; chatpatey honey aloo; prawn Koliwada; jalebi chaat; tandoori chicken naan pizza; jhinga pao; rajma chawal; Punjabi mushroom curry; nitro kulfi falooda; and paan ice cream with apple murabba. Open daily, from 6pm to 1.30am. Turban Tales, Adishankaracharya Marg, Jogeshwari Vikhroli Link Road, near Panch Kutir Bus Stop, Powai. Tel: 022 2570 8633.
• Every weekend, from Friday to Sunday, the Bandra outlet of seafood shop chain Off The Hook will host a pop-up by Yugo’s Maki Sushi, a brand of sushi wraps made by Japanese couple Yugo and Martha Tokuchi. Their six-item menu comprises tandoori maguro (tuna); yakiniku (grilled) paneer; chicken maki-walla; wasabi surimi (crab stick); fresh salmon; and tandoori salmon wrap. Yugo’s Maki Sushi will be available for takeaway and delivery between noon and 8pm on Fridays and Saturdays and from noon to 2pm on Sundays. Off The Hook, Ground Floor, Sai Pooja Building, 16th Road, opposite Eddies, Bandra (West). Tel: 022 6550 6555.
• On Monday, April 17, a bar called Bottoms Up was launched in Andheri West by hospitality company Lite Bite Foods, which owns the Punjab Grill chain of restaurants in Lower Parel, Andheri West and Ghatkopar. Their list of signature cocktails features Mumbai-inspired tipples such as the Marine Drive (Long Island ice tea with beer in place of cola), Page 3 (caipiroska with lemon pickle) and Sandra from Bandra (Bloody Mary flavoured with curry leaves and roasted mustard seeds). Among the bar bites on the fusion food menu are snacks like smoked achari mushroom; paneer sliders; laal maas pao; gin flambeed baby lamb chops; and fried Bombay duck with Bloody Mary shots. Open daily, from noon to 1am. Bottoms Up, Ground Floor, Morya Landmark, opposite Infiniti Mall, off Link Road, Andheri (West). Tel: 022 3965 9022.
• An outpost 10 Downing Street, the nation-wide chain of theme bars fashioned after British pubs, opened in Bandra Kurla Complex last month. On the multi-cuisine food menu are such dishes as gochujang fried chicken; fish and chips; char siu pork bao; crackling pork belly; Kerala-style pepper chicken; chicken 65; mushroom poutine; Cajun chicken burger; Lebanese pizza; and eggs Florentine. Open daily, from noon to 1am. 10 Downing Street, First Floor, Vibgyor Towers, opposite Trident Hotel, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra (East). Tel: 83699 59916.
• The Waffle Factory, a food truck specialising in dessert waffles and shakes, was launched in Ghatkopar in March. The waffles are served in flavours like Notorious Nutella; Hazelnut Heaven; Coffee Addiction; White Chocolate Temptation; Blueberry Blast; and Dark Chocolate Meltdown, and the shakes are made with ingredients such as Kit Kat and Oreo. Open daily, from noon to midnight. The Waffle Factory, Shop No.7, Kailash Plaza, next to The Raymond Shop, near R-Odeon Mall, Ghatkopar (East). Tel: 82911 36258.