New Restaurants and Cafes: Cafe Basilico, Bombay Waffle Co. in Bandra
• Cafe Basilico is slated to reopen in Bandra on Friday, May 13. This outpost will serve all-day breakfast dishes such as couscous upma; eggs Florentine; shakshouka; bhurji; scrambled tofu; and four cheese toastie. The all-day menu will offer fig and goat cheese salad; five bean salad; polenta crusted calamari; four cheese fondue; buff shawarma; chicken burger; prawns, avocado and rocket sandwich; ratatouille pizza; fish and chips; coconut braised pumpkin; and roast buff. Like at its previous address in Bandra, this branch will also have a bakery and confectionery section. Open daily, from 9am to 1.30am. Cafe Basilico, Ground Floor, Eternia Building, opposite Mamagoto, Hill Road, Bandra (West). Tel: 022 6703 9999.
• Bombay Waffle Co. is slated to open in Bandra this month. A new venture by Karishma Dalal, the chef and co-founder of the salad-focused restaurant Bombay Salad Co. in Bandra, Bombay Waffle Co. will serve Belgian-style sweet and savoury waffles with a choice of toppings such as mushroom, onion and gouda; caramelised banana and toffee; smoked salmon and sour cream; coconut and lemon cream; and custard with jelly and fruit. The menu will also offer a selection of coffees, teas and waffle shakes. Open daily, from 11am to 11pm. Bombay Waffle Co., Rita Apartments, opposite Syndicate Bank, next to Mini Punjab, 16th Road, Bandra (West).
• Deja Brew, a new craft beer-focused bar, opened in Bandra during the last week of April. The cafe and bar, which has replaced The Pint Room and is run by the owners of The Great Punjab restaurant next door, serves Gateway Brewing Co. and The White Owl’s brews on tap along with a selection of beers from across the country and the world. The food menu lists appetisers like chicken meatballs, bangers and mash, chilli garlic prawns and black pepper chicken and stone-fired pizzas such as ham and mushroom and double cheese with ricotta stuffed crust. Open daily, from 6pm to 12.30am. Deja Brew, next to The Great Punjab, near Shoppers Stop, Linking Road, Bandra (West). Tel: 98198 41702.
• On Monday, May 16, Breach Candy will get a new vegetarian salad bar, smoothie and juice joint called Ministry of Salads, which is being launched by entrepreneurs Dhruv Mehra and Sheetal Nahar in partnership with Silver Beach Entertainment and Hospitality, which runs the Nom Nom and Silver Beach Cafe restaurant chains and the pubs Copa in Juhu and Radio Bar in Bandra. At Ministry of Salads, the choice of beverages will include beetroot, spinach, carrot and apple juice; banana and berry smoothie; and pomegranate, celery and ginger cleanser. The salad menu will feature The Lentil Mental; The Thai Goddess; The Grain Bowl; and The Happy Summer Chickpea Salad. Open daily, from 11am to 10pm. Ministry of Salads, Manik Niwas, opposite Tata Garden, Breach Candy. Tel: 97698 23777.
• The second outlet of Desi Deli, the casual-dining restaurant in Bandra, is slated to open in Andheri West this month. Barring a few additions such as The Chicago Desi hot dog (chicken or pork sausage topped with mustard and fresh and pickled veggies) and breadless burgers (dishes of just the patty with vegetables), the new branch will have the same menu of fusion hot dogs, burgers and mains as the Bandra outpost. Open Tuesday to Sunday, from noon to 11pm. Monday closed. Desi Deli, Shop No.480, Gulmohar Co-operative Housing Society, Adarsh Nagar, New Link Road, Oshiwara, Andheri (West). Tel: 86555 52200.
• Tea Villa Cafe, the chain of tea salons, will come to Andheri West on Sunday, May 15. The menu will be the same as that of the outposts in Vile Parle and Bandra West. Open daily, from 8am to 1am. Tea Villa Cafe, Aram Nagar 1, opposite Dariya Mahal, Versova, Yari Road, Andheri (West).