New Restaurants: Xico in Lower Parel, House of Mandarin in Bandra
• Mexican restaurant Xico is slated to open in Lower Parel on Monday, September 25. The kitchen will be helmed by co-owner Scott Linquist, the former chef at the Dos Caminos Mexican restaurant chain in New York and Border Grill in Los Angeles. The menu will feature summer squash and squash blossom sope (savoury corn cake); pato flauta (crispy rolled taquito) with confit duck leg; chivo flauta with slow-roasted shredded goat neck; Oaxacan tamale (roasted chicken tamale); chorizo empanada; pescado (red snapper ceviche); carnitas (pork belly tacos); calamar (marinated squid tacos); mariscos (crab, shrimp and lobster enchilada); camarone (seared shrimp quesadilla); churros; and tres leches. Open daily, from 7.30pm to 1.30am. Xico, Trade View Building, Kamala Mills Compound, Gate No. 4, Pandurang Budhkar Marg, Lower Parel. Tel: 022 2497 8911.
• On Thursday, September 21, Chinese restaurant House of Mandarin will replace the Bandra branch of The Sassy Spoon. The restaurant belongs to The Chocolate Spoon Company, which also owns The Sassy Spoon and Sassy Teaspoon chain of patisseries. The menu will feature crispy duck salad; potato toast with sesame; fried squid with burnt garlic; Sichuan pepper fish; BBQ spare ribs; chicken and mushroom bao; cha siu pork bao; roast pork puff; lamb in spicy sauce; tenderloin in black pepper sauce; Singapore chilli crab; and steamed snapper in Assam sauce. Open daily, from noon to 3.30pm and from 7pm to 11.30pm. House of Mandarin, Classic Corner Building, opposite American Express Bakery, Hill Road, Bandra (West). Tel: 86555 55555.
• An egg-focused establishment called AndaMental – The Express Cafe, by the folks behind the Grain and Bagel cafe chain and Patch of Sky rooftop bar in Andheri, relocated to Andheri West from Jogeshwari, last month. The menu features makhani egg rice; egg biryani; egg curry; paneer and egg curry; Chinese egg roll; fried egg and Maggie; and baida roti. Open daily, from 11am to 3am. AndaMental – The Express Cafe, Sarkar Corner, junction of J .P. Road and Veera Desai Road, Azad Nagar Metro Station, Azad Nagar, Andheri (West). Tel: 022 3015 1468.
• The fourth outpost of The Fatty Bao, the chain of casual-dining South-East Asian restaurants, was launched in Andheri West on Friday, September 8. The new outpost is fashioned after an izakaya (Japanese gastrobar) and noodle shop. New additions on the menu include bottled cocktails such as Cool Ade (gin, cucumber, elderflower and thyme syrup); Peachy Lemonade (gin, green tea, lavender and peach); and The Elixir (Bourbon whisky, maple syrup, apple and pear). The food menu has been expanded to feature soupy noodles that you can customise and robata grilled meats and veggies. Open daily, from noon to 3.30pm and from 7pm to 1am. The Fatty Bao, Ground Floor, Morya Classic, opposite Infiniti Mall, off New Link Road, Lokhandwala, Andheri (West). Tel: 022 6236 6323.
• Drinkery 51 has replaced 10 Downing Street, the pub in Bandra Kurla Complex. Spread over 5,000 square feet, the rustic-themed bar offers a multi-cuisine menu featuring mushroom risotto; Kashmiri dum aloo; shepherd’s pie; cafreal chicken; butter chicken; dal gosht; kung pao chicken; Malabar prawn curry; BBQ lamb chops; and smokey buffalo wings. The bar menu includes cocktails such as chocolate margarita; pineapple and chilli mojito; grapefruit vodka sour; and coriander and melon martini. Open daily, from noon to 1.30am. Drinkery 51, First Floor, Vibgyor Towers, opposite the Trident Hotel, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra (East). Tel: 98334 48880.
• The Bandra branch of Cafe Basilico has shut.